Back from London

I spent an extremely busy but fruitful week in London. The weather was great, the hotel was lovely (the picture above? that’s the view out of the window of my room!), and the fire of academia was burning brightly inside me. I usually arrived so early at the British Library …

… that I had stand in the queue in order to get inside (below you see the diminshed queue 10 minutes after the library has opened).

My week looked something like this:

  • Sunday: Arrived in the late afternoon; went to Covent Garden to grab a bite and buy milk and cereals for breakfast (I had a fridge in my room — how neat is that?)
  • Monday: Got a reader’s pass for the British Library and spent the next seven hours in the “Rare Books and Music” reading room.
  • Tuesday: Arrived at the library at 9 a.m., left at 7.30 p.m.
  • Wednesday: Arrived at the library at 9 a.m., left at 3.00 p.m. (yay), went to the British Museum
  • Thursday: Decided I ought to try and find out whether it’s possible to walk from the British Museum to the Victoria & Albert Museum (it is — it just takes you a while …); arrived at about 11 a.m., spent the following six hours in the National Art Library and the Prints and Drawings room. Went to Harrods. Walked back to British Museum, or rather to my hotel, which was almost next to the British Museum.
  • Friday: No library!!!!!! Yay!!! Went sightseeing: National Gallery, Apsley House, Tate Britain. Collapsed onto bench in front of Waterhouse’s Lady of Shalott. Feet hurt in a rather hellish fashion. Decided that art was highly overrated and took the bus back to my hotel. Collapsed onto bed and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening watching TV, with cold, wet towels wrapt around my feet.
  • Saturday: Walked through Regent’s Park and visited the zoo. Got a taxi down to Aldwych afterwards and bought tea at the Twining’s shop on the Strand (lots of tea) (lots and lots and lots of tea!). Went to the Victoria & Albert Museum afterwards. Got lost in the museum.
  • Sunday: Went to the British Museum and took notes on such things as Beaker burials. Was too nervous for anything else, and thus took a cab to the airport. Had to wait ages until I could check in. And when I went through security I had to open and unpack my cabin luggage (which contained the tea). Had a heck of a time afterwards to fit it all into the travelbag again. Hmph.

3 thoughts on “Back from London

  1. Laura Vivanco

    You’ve obviously been a very, very busy Sandra. I’m impressed by your stamina.

    By the way, before you left, did you get the email I sent you? My computer was doing funny things at the time, so I wasn’t sure whether or not it had arrived safely.

  2. Carolyn

    Oh, Sandy, I am so so soooo jealous. There are several books in the BL that I am dying to have a look at. Post more about your adventures in books.

  3. Sandra Schwab

    Laura, my feet weren’t all that much impressed with me. *g* And I hit a big low on Tuesday: by the end of the day I was near tears when I thought of having to come back to the library the next day in order to compare my 1979 edition of “Where the Rainbow Ends” with the 1951 edition. Initially, I thought I could photocopy the 1951 playscript, but because the copyright hasn’t yet expired, I wasn’t allowed to. *sob*

    And I got your e-mail, thank you! And I found a postcard you’re totally going to like (only I didn’t post it in London …) (that’s just me and postcards).

    Carolyn, I’ll definitely post more about my bookish adventures over the next couple of days. 🙂

Comments are closed.